Jimmy Hickey is the founder of Findlay Hats. Before that, he was a full-time photographer. He made a comfortable living doing it, but it was very seasonal. Because of that, and how saturated it was becoming, he started investigating other avenues for income.
The original concept for the hats started when Jimmy was around 14. While river rafting through the Hollywood Gorge, they capsized and he ended up losing his favorite hat. The next time he was rafting, he cut a hole in the sweatband of the hat and put a shoelace through it, which was the first version of the Findlay Hat.
In This Conversation We Discuss:
- [5:20] Handing off the things you like to do in your business
- [9:48] Coming up with the idea for Findlay Hat
- [12:07] Getting your product patented
- [15:30] Building a community around your brand
- [17:45] Investing in social media interaction
- [20:00] Squarespace vs Shopify
- [22:30] Getting your first sales
- [24:35] Ramping up your marketing
- [28:58] Diversifying your marketing
- [32:25] Creating a system for producing content
- [34:54] Mistakes to avoid in entrepreneurship
- Learn more at: http://www.findlayhats.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/findlayhats/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/findlayhats/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/findlayhats/
- Start a Simplr free trial: simplr.ai/honest
If you’re enjoying the show, we also ask that you please click here to leave Honest eCommerce a review on Apple Podcasts today. It really does make a huge impact and we love reading every one!