Ben Jabbawy is the founder and CEO of Privy.com, the leading website conversion platform for ecommerce merchants and one of Inc Magazine’s 5000 fastest growing companies! Over 250,000 ecommerce merchants, like Leesa Mattress, FIGS, The Beatles and more, use Privy to grow their email lists, reduce cart abandonment and drive repeat sales.
On our podcast today, we talk about how email marketing is the foundation of a successful ecommerce business, some tips and tricks for email marketing, and how to develop a good mindset for success and failure.
In This Conversation We Discuss:
- [0:55] Privy being included in the Inc 5000 list of fastest growing companies
- [1:55] What is Privy?
- [3:00] Ben’s history before Privy
- [4:09] Being the “tech guy” in the family
- [5:09] Privy’s difficult times
- [5:43] Making a choice and learning from failure
- [5:58] Privy’s awesome clients/brands
- [6:30] Chase’s funny Hubble Contacts story
- [7:17] How Privy helps ecommerce businesses
- [8:00] The wishful thinking of marketers and business owners vs. data and reality
- [9:20] Website segmentation
- [10:00] Focusing on the 3 audiences in the funnel
- [10:50] The proper use of pop-ups
- [11:40] Marketing techniques for each of the 3 audiences in the funnel
- [13:46] Sponsor: https://www.simplr.ai/honest
- [14:30] The importance of email marketing for ecommerce
- [15:58] Other marketing channels as choices for customers to interact with your store
- [17:11] Emails are less intrusive than other channels, making it best for general correspondence
- [18:06] Other reasons why email marketing is so cool
- [19:01] Tips on what messages to send your email list
- [19:31] Presale and Postsale
- [19:51] Educational welcome series
- [20:11] Cart abandonment emails
- [20:46] What to do after the customer’s first purchase
- [21:00] Emails for a customer’s “critical moment”
- [21:25] Order followup series
- [22:10] Email marketing: start simple and modify bit by bit
- [23:14] Klaviyo’s interview with an agency that built a huge segmented email campaign
- [23:45] Tips for newsletter content
- [25:34] Consistency trumps content at first
- [26:00] When the data comes, adjust along the way
- [26:00] Gary Vee’s first book: Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook
- [26:50] Give value, then ask for the sale
- [27:09] Get inspired by joining Allbirds.com’s email list
- [28:08] How I Built This Podcast feat the founders of Allbirds
- [28:42] What propels businesses “over the chasm”
- [28:52] Is Privy an overnight success?
- [29:11] What’s next for Privy?
- Learn more at privy.com
- Privy’s beginner and advanced conversion training webinars privy.com/training
If you’re enjoying the show, we’d love if you left Honest eCommerce a review on Apple Podcasts. It makes a huge impact on the success of the podcast, and we love reading every one!